Pedestrian Safety is a Shared Responsibility between Drivers and those travelling on foot. If you are travelling by foot it is important to use all crosswalk signs, obey all traffic safety signs, and all pedestrian street signals.
If you are traveling by car it is imperative tor you to stop for pedestrians, follow all road traffic signs, and when it doubt, give them the right away.
Here are a few tips to help pedestrians walk safe in New Jersey:
1) Wear bright colored clothing, especially at night to increase visibility
2) Be sure to walk on sidewalks or paths and alwyas cross at the corner or use pedestrian crosswalk signs
3) Look left, right, and left again before crossing and be on the lookout for tunring vehicles that are ignoring street signs
4) It is imperative to make eye contact with the driver prior to crossing the street
5) Learn the proper use of "Walk/Don't Walk" Traffic signals
6) If possible use the buddy system, this especially applies to youngsters. Try to cross the streets with others if possible.
7) Avoid walking at night and during bad weather
These tips can help protect you from dangers lurking at every street corner in every city around the world.