An electrical fire was the cause of an evacuation of the Morris County Courthouse on Wednesday. According to the fire chief, the incident occurred from a battery backup serving a computer in a third-floor courtroom.
The occurrence filled up Courtroom number 12 with smoke. Apparently, the smoke was so thick it was difficult to see and a light smoke filled the building. The investigation lasted a total of 5 hours to determine that there were no more fires.
With no electrical signs or emergency fire sign present in the courtroom, luckily it was an empty court room. Prior to the 9am court appearances, fire trucks were on the scene. So those with business in the courtroom in the morning were forced to wait outside in the hot weather melting on the sidewalk. After patrons were scattered on the sidewalks, leaning on street name signs, traffic signs, and benches they were finally told the court was closed.
Firefighters thoroughly checked the entire building using gas and electric fans to ventilate the building. The courtroom is now open for business and have taken the proper safeguards in case a similar incident happens when people are present.